Contributors

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

HEROES CON 2011...!!!

Let's jump ahead to Summer 2011.  In the midst of me grinding my gears to get ready for SDCC, I remembered that I'd also made preparations to help my "Good Doppelganger" Jay Potts run his table at Heroes Con down in Charlotte, NC.  (For those who don't know, Jay is the creator of the ground-breaking WORLD OF HURT, the internet's #1 Blaxploitation Webcomic.  Check it out here: http://worldofhurtonline.com/)  I met up with Mr. Potts and Jeremy Sumey, the younger brother of our schoolmate Anthony.
  I had a ball; it was a totally new experience to be on the seller's side of the table.  I spent the weekend perched between Jay and kick-ass penciller Mike Norton, telling jokes, and selling stuff.  I even learned the ins and outs of pushing Con sketches to the public.  While I elected not to sell any artwork, I did knock out a few pencil-to-marker pieces:
This Saturn Girl sketch came from a coaster I'd done at Dan Panosian's SDCC Drink-and-Draw a year or two earlier.  It was just my way of warming up.


Which really got me into just having some fun.  My next sketch was of the Wrecker, from the old Thor comics.  I'll say it again and again: there is no greater magical weapon than an ENCHANTED CROWBAR!

After the Wrecker sketch, I was in a full-out Old School mood (probably aided by the fact that X-Men: First Class was opening that night, and we were going to see it after the Con.)  So My next piece was the classic Mastermind from the 60's X-men Comics.

I only had time for one sketch on the very last day, so I chose a personal favorite from my comics-heavy childhood: Sam Guthrie, aka Cannonball from the New Mutants.  (It also led to one of the funniest moments for me, when Mike, who hadn't made a sound while I was drawing, said in a plaintive voice, "But Sam looks so SAD...!)


  Again, I had fun.  The Con was packed to the gills with SCAD students, faculty, and alumni, so I saw tons of old friends and peers.  I surprised my friend Dave Wheeler, who wasn't expecting me there, and ran into my good bud John Larison as well.  There were quite a few established pros there, also; I showed Frank Cho a copy of a Washington Post Magazine feature he had done, and he autographed it.
  Needless to say, I'll be back to table with Jay this year.  I may even sell a sketch or three, provided there's a market for 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment