Contributors

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rough Sketch/and the Portfolio Review lie!

A quick study for an illustration I'm planning to add to my portfolio for SD this year, just in case The Lucas folk decide to show up. Last year, I had the misfortune of a.) Not having any SW pieces, and b.) having the bad luck to be in line at portfolio review behind a guy smart enough to make a portfolio FULL of outstanding SW pieces. I won't get caught sleeping this year...

I should never have believed them when they say that it's okay if you don't have Star Wars stuff; the chick at portfolio review actually got angry when I showed her my stuff and there was no Jedi or Stormtroopers. She looked at me like I had a taken a dump on the floor or something.

And for the record, I'm starting to learn that comics people who say you shouldn't bring pin-ups to a portfolio review are full of shit. I know a guy named Carlo, one of the best artists I've ever seen. His portfolio contains one or two sequential samples, and a lot of single illustrations. He's gotten rave reviews like you wouldn't believe from editors of all shapes and sizes! They recognize his ability, and respond accordingly.

Talent shows through, no matter what...

1 comment:

  1. I've added a link to your blog on my site. Let the pain of the present and the good memories of the past be your inspiration. Now get crankin, Jack!

    -The Do-Gooder

    ReplyDelete